Red Shoulder Hawk

Red Shoulder Hawk

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Permaculture Class, Friday night the Second


This class is kicking my affluenzic butt.

Over the last year, I've been re-learning the value of ritual. How can a Roman Catholic not be tuned to ritual!? Well, it's always belonged to someone else, that's how. Until now. I've been claiming it. Inventing my own, to share with my family. Grappling with and then releasing the Toyota marked the beginning of the beginning of this, for me.

Inviting and inventing ritual is an important aspect of urban permaculture. Two classmates picked up the task of making "something" to start this weekend, using the ending ceremony of last weekend. I'm just dense enough that the idea of starting this weekend with seeds from last weekend seems powerfully symbolic to me, recalling how last year's seeds become this year's crop. Moe and Corina created a brilliant, multiple-manifold presentation, which as soon as I have one element from it emailed to me, I'll post a dim echo of what we got to experience.

I feel like instructionally, this weekend is going to be a little more Western World, block-by-block than last weekend. Tonight we reviewed map-making, as it applies to land use for permaculture.
.
.
.
Oh. I just took a brief trip in my head, about how you could adapt surveying and mapmaking for invisible, societal needs. Okay, so perhaps the class isn't turning reductionist. Perhaps my new, whole-system neuronal pathways are becoming stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment