Red Shoulder Hawk

Red Shoulder Hawk

Monday, January 08, 2007

Epiphany 2007


We drove 900 miles over the weekend, and most of those at night. Why? So we could party with my side of the family in San Clemente! Our ritual for celebrating the visit of the Three Kings includes chili, salad, make-your-own-sundaes, and reading by small children of the long foreign words in the bible passage.

These are many of my nieces and nephews. It's been pretty uncomfortable to be so full of my doings and goings on up here that these small people are somewhat unknown to me. I know some things, like who is a cook and who is an athlete, but I admire that my brother Jere knows who to turn upside down and who to play word games with.

I must admit I don't mind being far away from my brother Steve's pontificating. Caitlan told me she was worried for a moment when he got into his "Global warming is a natural phenomenon, and God's got it all under control" spiel. She told me she was proud of me for letting it go. Heck, if I can't spot a closed mind by now, I'm in the wrong line of activism. Besides, I know the sweetest revenge will be saving the planet right out from under folks like him.

Nick and I went down to the ocean. He got in. I reflected for a few moments about the life lessons I've learned from him, and went in too. It's been years since I surfed, or even body surfed, but the skills are still there. After a half-dozen nice little rides, I climbed out, and explained about the undertow to my boy who was rapidly drifting out to sea. He didn't get cold enough to come out for another half hour.

The hot shower back at the house sure felt nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment