Red Shoulder Hawk

Red Shoulder Hawk

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Why I love blogs

Scientific information and "expert" opinions are literally just a mouse-click away. However, unlike the traditional news media, the internet has no gatekeepers, no reviewers, and no authority to help you distinguish good science from the bad, environmental fact from environmental fiction.
Richard Ladle, writing for the BBC.

The internet has no "authority" to help me distinguish good science from bad? No gatekeepers, to pre-filter my information? You mean, I hafta use my own powers of discernment?

This is exactly why I love blogs. It doesn't take much effort, really, to sort fact from fiction. I find high-school level critical thinking is probably enough for 90% of what I find. What is really threatening to the status quo, is that I can actually find real facts, unfiltered and raw. Even my mom is tired of the way news is packaged for the US market. She was thrilled when I took the simple step of showing her Google News.

Yes, I know there are still lots of "sheep" in this country, people who somehow didn't take any structure of logic classes and can't really think for themselves (yet), people who have been trained to be patient little consumer drones, content with choosing between makes of SUVs and never questioning whether they really need an SUV in the first place, but for the rest of us, we can rejoice kowing that we're able to uncover what's really going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment