Red Shoulder Hawk

Red Shoulder Hawk

Thursday, July 13, 2006

A Fowl HNT

Am I chicken to get half-nekkid? Or can I get half-nekkid with chickens?

I've just been added to the community's rotation for caring for the chickens. I don't really know what that means yet, other than there's some amount of feed to give them, some coop cleanup, and water bucket to fill. I am very excited, because I also get to bring any eggs they lay today back to my kitchen!

Yay!

I'm pretty sure I didn't do it completely right, because the smartest chicken kept walking up to me, expectantly. So I'll ask for some more training.

Most cities allow people to keep fowl. Oakland also allows goats... but not cattle. Chickens are pretty great, ducks a little less so. At the store, eggs are cheap, so is there a real cost benefit to keeping chickens? Probably not. Except that they are great little kitchen waste eaters, they are fun to watch, and they do help anchor busy people in the cycles of both day and season. Like so many things in our world today, the value comes from the parts we don't assign price tags to.

Happy Half Nekkid Thursday!

(If you wanna play along, click the HNT button in the sidebar)

No comments:

Post a Comment