Red Shoulder Hawk

Red Shoulder Hawk

Monday, August 15, 2005

On TV

We got our electric bill, and even though I haven't applied for the $9/mo credit I can get because I charge the Sparrow at home, I worked out the math and see that my per mile expense for "juice" (gasoline/electricity) is half of what it was. When my credit kicks in, I'll be driving about 300 miles each month on electricity for the same dollars as 66 miles worth of gasoline. And gas continues to go up, while my electric rate is pretty darn flat.

I got interviewed by KION, Salinas while driving home from camping while filling up at the pump. I talked about my reaction to increasing fuel prices was to buy an electric car, but I also gave the interviewer a sound bit I knew they'd use: "I don't know how people are going to be able to keep affording gasoline." So that's what got on the air.

I completely forgot to plug this website.

"Darn," I said, 10 miles down the road. "I completely forgot to tell people to visit 'homeofthefuture' for more about changing over to a sustainable lifestyle! I guess I don't have that self-promoter, moviestar mindset, yet."

My wife, queen of privacy, looked at me in panic. "What do you mean, 'not yet!?' "

"Oops, did I say that out loud? Honey, in case you haven't noticed, I'm done trying to rein myself in. I'm stepping in to my power. I'm afraid that means you're in for a ride!"

I will do my darndest to not blow her out of the water, but I'm becoming more me every day. I trust that at the end of my transformation I'll still be a man that she can love.

No comments:

Post a Comment