Red Shoulder Hawk

Red Shoulder Hawk

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Gattaca, ambiguous, interpretable


Wonderful, stylish film, with rampant symbolism and a richly woven script, Gattaca nevertheless is hard for me to watch because of its overt Scientology frame of reference. The study of the mind and even of the Astral doesn't interest me as much as experiencing Spirit does. The film's elements are very ambiguous, though, so it's a great vehicle to explore one's own life journey.

For example, this line stays with me, nearly ten years later:

"You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton— I never saved anything for the swim back." ~ Vincent (Gattaca, 1997)

That's how I want to live. It is how I am learning to live. I don't want to save anything for the swim back. Back in my twenties, I remember being a full-tilt and fall down sort of person. I'd burn the candle at both ends and in the middle, and a couple times a month I'd have to take a day off entirely. Anyone who knew me before I started yoga can remember how I was like a racecar at full throttle all the time... except when I would literally crash for 24 to 36 hours.

How do I work out the idea of not holding anything back, while living a sustainable life?

It's like this: my physical and even my emotional and mental resources are limited, just as the planet's resources are limited. What is unlimited is my drive. What is unlimited is God's love for me. What is unlimited is His ability to support me. So my chosen duty is to apply infinite energy to finite capacity...

and to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment