Red Shoulder Hawk

Red Shoulder Hawk

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Teach the Children, part 2

Hurrah! The front yard plants are cut down after the growing season so I'll get to have a dirt yard all summer long.

On the plus side, though, a different group of children came past the house. Animatedly striding, talking amongst each other, these three and four year olds were clearly not associated with yesterday's children. These were excited, and exciting to see. Not holding a guide rope, they were holding each others' hands. The adults were attentive, and using body language to keep the children in check and safe. The babble of voices was so melodious it was impossible for me to pick out any one conversation.

"Hi there!" I said. I got back a chorus of hellos. "Are you having a good day?"

"Oh, yes!" "I love going on walks!" "We just went to the park!" "We had a picnic!" "I brought my lunch!"

"Sounds great, Okay everyone, have a great day!"

"Thank you!" a few of them called, and in about three heartbeats the children competed to see who could shout "Thank you" the longest and loudest. Eventually one adult said in a quite voice "You only need to say 'Thank you' once," and the children subsided and went back to their individual conversations.

Foster exhuberance!

No comments:

Post a Comment