Red Shoulder Hawk

Red Shoulder Hawk

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Form Letter for the Global Change Hold-outs


So you've finally realized you were wrong about global climate change and peak oil? Want to get back into the good graces of your friends and family who were right? Here's a nice little letter you could send them:

To my progressive, intelligent, resourceful, clear-thinking and compassionate [brother/mother/father/sister/best friend],

I just saw the pictures taken by satellite of the collapse of that ice shelf in Antarctica. I've now seen that my gullibility and belief that God will save us from ourselves played into the hands of the right-wing, reactionary, make-up-your-mind-first-and-twist-all-data politicos and my beliefs about human-activity induced global climate change and peak oil were just that: beliefs. Once it was believed the world was flat. Learning the truth eventually led to satellites taking pictures of collapsing ice shelves. I hoped it was true that I wouldn't suffer because of the choices I made, that my parents made, and that we allowed corporate profiteers to make for us. I know better now.

I am sorry. I really appreciate that you stuck to your principles and more so, modelled for me support of the thorough application of the scientific method, so that I can now replace wishful thinking with thoughtful action.

This awareness is new and sometimes difficult for me, but you've been part of the truth for long enough that I would really appreciate it if you let me know the top two or three things I could do, right now, to help mitigate this problem and make the world a better place for human civilization.

Warmest, (and warmer?)

[your name]

No comments:

Post a Comment