Red Shoulder Hawk

Red Shoulder Hawk

Friday, March 30, 2007

Getting ready for our next housemate

George is gone, gone, gone, scarcely even a memory. Maybe he was the way he was because his room had such crappy carpet. Oy, it was ugly. So ugly, I had to make sure my beautiful daughter was in the picture I took of it, simply to achieve balance.

The last service the van did for us was to bring home a giant chunk of almost new carpet. Carpet from an indoor gym, less than a year old, with all the smells outgassed. It weighed about 400 pounds.

We've cut it up and installed it in two of the rooms of the house. Instead of buying a knee-kicker, and since the Tool Lending Library had loaned theirs out to someone other than me, I made one. It worked okay. You can see all the little nail points in the picture below.

I only broke it once, and we only tore up a few loops of the carpet. See that fold in the carpet going across the picture, above? Don't leave 400 pounds of carpet laying on top of itself.

For the cost of a few bruises and sore muscles, we've got nearly new carpet in two rooms now! Plus, I saved a bunch of material from the landfill, and I didn't have to deal with our 100 year old subfloors. I did obvious things, like nail down the squeaks, but I didn't do anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment