Red Shoulder Hawk

Red Shoulder Hawk

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The car shuffle

The car shuffle exists because we have a one-person car that will go about 20 miles per day, and a four-person car that would go 300 miles or more in a day. We all take public transit to a greater or lesser extent. Both kids get themselves home on the bus everyday.

If Xena takes the bus and BART on her long days of school, she gets home around 11:30 at night. The one-person car doesn't have the range to get her all the way to Hayward and back. If she can drive the four-person car, she gets home an hour earlier.

We're experimenting with the plan for Tuesdays and Thursdays; the kids and I drive in, and then about 3pm I take the car to Xena. I pick up the one-person car that she drove to her work, and come back to work myself.

Simple, so far.

Mondays through Thursdays, Caitlan stuffs her bike into the car in the mornings, so she can ride back and forth between her two high schools. Mondays and Wednesdays, I pick her up during 6th period and take her to BART so she can get out to Diablo Valley College for Japanese class. Sometimes, Caitlan leaves her bike locked in Alameda.

Wednesdays, I have my networking breakfast meeting, so the ride in to Alameda takes place about an hour and 15 minutes earlier than other days.

That's the car shuffle.

No comments:

Post a Comment