Red Shoulder Hawk

Red Shoulder Hawk

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Fuel Economy Training

Watching the instantaneous fuel economy gauge in that hybrid helped me to retrain my accelerator foot. There was a marked difference in fuel used between a fast start, a normal start, and a leisurely start: from a low of about 10 mpg to a high of about 40 mpg.

I'd been getting less than 20 mpg in our van. I experimented with the most recent tank of fuel, with long, gentle starts. It feels weird, but I end up going the same speed as drivers who jack-rabbit out of the gate. I'm also typically less than 4 seconds behind them by the time I get up to the speed limit. Anyway, this last tank took us over 400 miles, and I managed to get 25 miles per gallon.

That's a 25% increase in fuel economy, just by changing my driving habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment