Red Shoulder Hawk

Red Shoulder Hawk

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"You're such a dreamer..."

"... so how do you manage to ever get anything done? I mean, most dreamers I know are great at starting something but they never seem to achieve anything, and eventually they seem disillusioned. You seem enthusiastic about nearly everything, plus you take on big things."

I thought about it for a moment. "I guess, for me, I was able to turn that around by thinking about how dreams of the past have built the present. So when I look around at today, I see it as the manifestation of someone's dream. And I see it that way and rejoice that the thing is. At the same time, I look at what else could be, and dream that. I suppose that could look sort of schizophrenic, but it doesn't feel like a paradox to me.

"Look at how many mythic traditions have 7 league boots, magic carpets, and the like. The dream of nearly effortless transportation has been realized as the car. So even as I work to undo the impact of the car on our social structure, I celebrate the car because for ages people have wanted 7 league boots."

No comments:

Post a Comment