Red Shoulder Hawk

Red Shoulder Hawk

Sunday, February 01, 2009

A Bit of Culture (Sauerkraut and Music!)


What an amazing afternoon.

I invited Neighbor Jan and Friend Franziska over to make sauerkraut. Jan brought friends who played violin, guitar and banjo. So while we made brine by massaging cabbage and salt, setting up our cabbage cultures, they made music. The weather was of course very cooperative.

"What can I do to help?" asked Crafty Girl.

"And me! And me!" echoed the others.

"Here, help me grate carrots."

"Okay."

The sun kissed us, a breeze cooled us, the music blessed us, and we chopped, salted, massaged, and packed. It was our own little "Super Bowl" of culture.

Hank brought some sauerkraut he'd already made. "Mm, love the caraway seeds," I said.

"It's believed they help with gas," he said.

Well, I suppose on Super Bowl Sunday, a little fart humor is appropriate, right?

Franziska used some crazy grater/slicer that made parts of me run and hide whenever I looked at it. But it was German-made, and we were slicing up 'kraut, so it's all good. I know you can go to the store and buy sauerkraut. But you can't go to the store and buy an afternoon like this one. This is the goal of urban permaculture: use everyone's skills together to make every moment a reflection of Heaven. I got to live there for a bit, today.

No comments:

Post a Comment