Red Shoulder Hawk

Red Shoulder Hawk

Friday, February 27, 2009

After Dinner of Lemon Chicken Soup

Diane and I made a very tasty lemon chicken soup for common meal tonight. I'm sensitized to seasonality now; the fact that our lemon tree is producing an overwhelming amount of fruit and we have chicken that needs to be cooked at the same time makes me wonder about other dishes that have become year round favorites. Lemon juice pairs nicely with chicken fat; what other pairings have become part of our 365 day homogenous diet, that might have had been part of a seasonal diet?

Our yard provided a fair amount of dinner tonight. What an amazing climate we have, that in February our yard provided chicken, lemons, thyme, parsley, chard and mustard greens. I really enjoy cooking for everyone, and it's even more fun when an unfamiliar recipe is received so warmly.

Tomorrow we're processing our honey (finally) and Karl and I will work on more trenching and drainage. We had a bit of flooding again, but for some reason no one seems very fussed about it. Karl's grey water/rain storage system is working really well. Water ran off the roofs and through the french drain to the edge of the yard where you could see it percolating up and then spilling over into the overflow channel to the street.

I wish I could find my camera. Karl and Aaron made a beautiful trellis for peas and beans in one of the raised beds. I'd love to share it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment