Red Shoulder Hawk

Red Shoulder Hawk

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

No more coffee

I drank coffee to keep up with an infant who required a mere 4 hours of sleep per day; now that she's sixteen, what's my excuse? I had a good sick (that upper-respiratory fluish thing that passed through in January/February) and in the middle of the fever and chills I realized that coffee smelled bad. So while I regret that the Fair Trade coffee folks won't get my business anymore, I think it's better for me. And, it's better for the environment too, since all that shipping of coffee up from South America is a big part of its expense.

If you're still driving a gas-powered car (I am! I'm bootstrapping here, just like so many others) then at least buy your fuel from a company that doesn't import oil from the Middle East.

According to a friend of a friend, the DOE reports these are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:
>           Citgo................0 barrels
>           Sunoco.............0 barrels
>           Conoco............0 barrels
>           Sinclair.............0 barrels
>           BP/Phillips........0 barrels
>           Hess................0 barrels
>           ARCO...............0 barrels

I tried to get the data from the DOE site. I gave myself 15 minutes to spend, and hadn't gotten anywhere. So while I have no reason to doubt these numbers, I haven't verified them either.

And I already buy only ARCO fuel, on my way to my bio-fuel car.

No comments:

Post a Comment